History

The original villa was built in the 16th century by the Antelminelli family on the foundation of an old fort that belonged to their ancestor, Castruccio Castracani degli Antelminelli, since the Middle Ages.

After the betrayal of Bernardino Antelminelli in favor of Florence, the Republic of Lucca confiscated his property, and the villa later came to belong to the Franciotti family, who renovated it in the 17th century to its actual state. The stables, where the rental apartments are situated, and the gardens were designed as they are today – as can be seen in a drawing dating back to 1666.

In the early 19th century, after the villa was exchanged for another property located inside the park of the Villa Reale di Marlia, it became the summer seat of the Arcidiocesi of Lucca – this getting its name Villa del Vescovo (which means bishop). The current owners maintained this name and have continued to conserve and restore the villa since 1912.